Regulatory Requirements

Iowa Contractor Registration

The State of Iowa requires that “construction contractors” register with the Iowa Division of Labor, and renew that registration annually. The law is found in Chapter 91C of the Iowa Code. View the law for more information.

Who must be registered?

The law requires that all individual contractors and businesses performing “construction” work within Iowa be registered with the Division of Labor if they earn at least $2,000 a year from that work. Individuals or businesses making less than $2,000 a year on “construction” work, or who work only on their own real estate or property, are not required to register.

How is construction defined?

All contractors performing “construction” work must be registered. Even if construction work is only incidental to your business, you still must be registered so long as you make at least $2,000 a year from the “construction” activities. For example, employee leasing agencies that send employees to work construction and retail operations that install or hire subcontractors to install the goods they sell need to register. The definition of “construction” is very broad and includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, roofing, house painting, landscape and lawn sprinkler installation, cable television installation, elevator and boiler installation, window and door installation, and many other types of work.

Iowa Boiler and Pressure Vessel Board

The Iowa Division of Labor regulates boilers and unfired steam pressure vessels according to Iowa Code Chapter 89. Some hot water heating boilers used for pools or spas are regulated by the Iowa Department of Public Health.

Ten-day notice of new installations must be provided pursuant to Iowa Code Section 89.6. Download a 10-day notice form. Certain repairs and alterations must be authorized in advance by an authorized inspector.  Covered objects must be inspected by state inspectors or authorized insurance company inspectors.

You may request the Boiler and Pressure Vessel Board review an inspection report, grant a variance from a rule, or change a rule. Visit the Boiler and Pressure Vessel Board website for more information.